Updated on April 25, 2018.
Medical content reviewed by Dr. Joseph Rosado, MD, M.B.A, Chief Medical Officer
The Maine medical marijuana law has been in place for quite some time, and it enables patients to access medical cannabis provided they have a written recommendation from a qualified Maine physician. This means patients that have been diagnosed with any of the qualifying conditions can get medical marijuana. The challenge, however, is in getting a Maine marijuana card.
The Maine Medical Marijuana law established the Maine Patient Registry, a voluntary registry identification program. In addition, out of state medical marijuana register cards, are accepted in Maine.
* The Maine Marijuana Registry is voluntary.
“In addition to either a registry ID card or a physician certification form, all patients, including both non-registered and voluntarily registered patients, must also present their Maine driver license or other Maine-issued photo identification card to law enforcement, upon request.” Program Bulletin, [Accessed September 28, 2011]
* Out of State’s registry cards are accepted in Maine.
“Law enforcement will accept appropriate authorization from a participating state, but that patient cannot purchase marijuana in Maine without registering here. That requires a Maine physician and a Maine driver license or other picture ID issued by the state of Maine. The letter from a physician in another state is only good for 30 days.” Maine’s Division of Licensing and Regulatory Stories — Email received August 19, 2010.
The Maine Patient Registry fee is $0 for patients. For caregivers, however, the fee is $300 per patient, with a limit of five patients — however, if the caregiver is not growing, the fee is waived.
How MarijuanaDoctors.com Can Help
- Vast Network of Medical Professionals — We have an ever-growing network of highly qualified physicians who are medical cannabis experts, readily accessible through our portal. The first step to obtaining a Maine marijuana card involves getting a written recommendation from a certified doctor who’s licensed to practice in Maine. We give you full access to a database from which you can pick any doctor, based on your proximity and convenience.
- Rigorously Vetted Doctors — All the doctors in our network have gone through a thorough vetting process designed to ensure we provide our patients with only the best-quality healthcare. By doing this, we limit our directory to the most qualified and compassionate doctors each state can offer. Our doctors are also trained on the use of medical marijuana. This guarantees they’ll offer expert advice and accurate prescriptions to help you manage your condition more effectively.
- Massive Medical Marijuana Database — Learn everything you’ve ever wanted to know about cannabis and more. Our database gives patients access to the latest information and research on medical marijuana and how it affects every treatable condition.
- Convenient Online Booking System — We give patients the ability to book appointments online so you can easily connect with your doctor when needed. Booking through our portal is always free. You only pay your doctor’s fee at the time of your appointment.
- User-Friendly Telehealth Portal — When you can’t visit your doctor personally, you can schedule a Telemedicine appointment via our website. This allows patients and doctors to confer via desktop, laptop or mobile device in a more efficient manner.
- Online Symptom Tracker — This deceptively simple tool helps you and your physician keep track of how your body is responding to treatment. If you need to change your dosage, try a new strain or keep steady with your current treatment plan, our tracker makes it easy for your doctor to make that determination.
Browse through our Maine directory to find a doctor and take the first step toward securing a Maine medical marijuana card today.