Cachexia, a wasting disorder that often develops with diagnoses of cancer, AIDS and other severe conditions, affects more than five million people in the U.S. Its symptoms of nausea and vomiting, which lead to weight loss and nutritional deficiencies, are devastating. Many strains of medical marijuana, however, can provide relief by easing your feelings of nausea and stimulating your appetite.
Indica Strains for Cachexia Symptoms
For many patients, especially those who are prone to insomnia, indica strains are a preferred choice. They’re relaxing, which can help alleviate your nausea and discomfort, making it easier for you to eat a snack or fall asleep in the evening.
Some favorite indica strains for cachexia symptoms include:
- Red Dwarf: This euphoric, nausea-relieving and hunger-inducing strain reduces your stress, too.
- Ancient OG: This go-to strain for stimulating appetites features a minimal scent of earthy pine.
- Pure Afghan: This high-demand strain offers an uplifting feeling, plus encourages your appetite.
- Primus: This herbal strain provides relief from pain, stress and nausea, letting you relax and eat with ease.
Visit your local dispensary to see if they offer these strains or similar ones.
Sativa Strains for Cachexia Symptoms
Unlike indica strains, sativa strains provide an invigorating experience that makes them ideal for daytime use. They’re also known for creating a cerebral effect, which can leave you feeling creative and inspired — not to mention hungry.
Some recommended sativa strains for cachexia symptoms include:
- Grapefruit Haze: This potent strain renews your appetite while eliminating your fatigue.
- Sour Willie: This remarkable strain removes your nausea and restores your appetite.
- Nepalese: This grapefruit-scented strain boosts your happiness and reinvigorates your hunger level.
- Santa Sativa: This outstanding strain restores your appetite and alleviates your fatigue.
Talk to your budtender to learn about other sativa strains for easing cachexia symptoms.
Hybrid Strains for Cachexia Symptoms
If you’re torn between the benefits of indica and sativa strains, there is a compromise — hybrid strains. By breeding indica and sativa strains, producers of medical weed have blended the advantages of these two strains, though one tends to be more dominant than the other in these varieties.
A few hybrid strains trusted by patients with cachexia symptoms include:
- Good Medicine: This cannabidiol (CBD)-rich strain delivers relief from nausea, stress and
- Purple Tears: This indica-dominant strain offers relief from insomnia, appetite loss and
- TJ’s CBD: This award-winning strain delivers an energetic, pain-relieving feeling that leaves you focused.
- Thin Mint GSC: This potent strain eases nausea and pain, plus leaves you relaxed and uplifted.
Remember to track your experiences with new strains of medical weed, so you can determine which ones are best.
How to Administer Medicinal Cannabis for Cachexia
While many other medications are exclusive to one administration method, patients can administer medical weed in a variety of ways. Whether you use a vaporizer, topical, tincture, tablet or another form of medical pot, it’s essential to discuss your options with your medical marijuana doctor beforehand.
Since cachexia often causes nausea and a sensitivity to smells, many physicians recommend not smoking or vaporizing medical weed. Topicals, such as lotions and salves, are also not ideal, as they’re better suited for localized pain. That’s why many patients opt to use tablets, edibles or tinctures for consuming medical cannabis.
Find a Medical Marijuana Dispensary and Doctor Near Your
With the continued legalization of medical marijuana across the world, more patients and physicians are adopting medical cannabis as a treatment for a range of conditions, including cachexia. At MarijuanaDoctors.com, we understand there’s a vast amount of information for you and your family to review, which is why we provide the most up-to-date material, as well as a vetted database of certified physicians and dispensaries.
Information About Medical Marijuana & Cachexia/Wasting Syndrome
- Using Medicinal Cannabis to Stimulate Appetite in Patients With Cachexia
- Can Cannabis Help Patients With Wasting Syndrome’s Energy Levels
- Medical Marijuana to Reduce the Likelihood of Developing Cachexia
- Using Medicinal Cannabis to Reduce Cachexia-Related Nausea
- Best Strains of Medicinal Cannabis to Manage Cachexia Symptoms