Hydromyelia patients are often children born with birth defects. This means they can get surgery to avoid further issues, but in the meantime, they can still experience chronic pain. So, many parents of hydromyelia patients look for safe pain relief that avoids the dependency and organ damage caused by standard painkillers.
One such alternative is CBD-rich marijuana medicine. CBD, a component in marijuana, provides symptom relief without making the user feel the “high” we associate with cannabis. It also works great for adult patients who only want health benefits.
These medications are created using marijuana strains high in CBD and low in THC, the chemical that causes marijuana’s psychoactive impact.
The Health Benefits of CBD
Cannabidiol, or CBD, is responsible for many of medical cannabis’ lauded health benefits. It can help relieve symptoms such as:
- Muscle spasms
- Nausea and vomiting
Patients of all ages use CBD-heavy medicine to increase their quality of life. They don’t have to smoke it to feel relief — they can vape CBD-rich bud or use other cannabis products high in the stuff.
About Marijuana Strains
If you’ve ever looked at vegetable plants or seeds for your garden, you may have noticed every type of vegetable has multiple varieties. Just like these plants, marijuana has its own types, too. We call these varieties strains.
We classify marijuana strains as indica, sativa or hybrid. Indica and sativa strains respectively relax and energize the user. Hybrid strains can be a crossbreed of any two strains.
In general, indica strains tend to have higher CBD concentrations than sativa strains do. But, any kind of strain can have a high CBD content — just make sure to look closely at the chemical makeup of the strains you consider.
There are literally thousands of cannabis strains out there that we breed for different effects. Somewhere out there is a marijuana strain that will work perfectly for you.
Indica Strains High in CBD
For marijuana that helps you relax and is high in CBD, try:
- Pennywise: While considered a high-CBD strain, Pennywise actually has a one-to-one ratio of CBD to THC. So, it has psychoactive effects, but the CBD makes them milder.
- Afghani CBD: As its name implies, growers cultivate Afghani CBD to contain a high concentration of CBD. Due to its low amount of THC, it relaxes the user rather than putting them on edge.
Sativa Strains High in CBD
For cannabis strains that uplift you and are high in CBD, consider:
- Charlotte’s Web: Created in honor of a child patient, Charlotte’s Web contains less than 0.3% THC, making it perfect for young patients. While most patients use it for seizures, it can help with other symptoms like pain.
- Harlequin: Harlequin contains 75% sativa and 25% indica, but it has a CBD:THC ratio of 5:2. This proportion lets a little THC work together with CBD to enhance symptom relief.
Hybrid Strains High In CBD
If you’d rather have a mix of indica and sativa that’s high in CBD, try:
- ACDC: With one-part THC for every 20 parts of CBD, ACDC doesn’t cause any mental impairment. It’s incredibly high CBD content provides potent symptom reduction.
- Sour Tsunami: Growers breed Sour Tsunami to have a large amount of CBD, but its THC content varies. While it always has higher CBD than THC, you may want to look at the strain’s chemical contents to see how much THC it has.
Who to Talk to About Cannabis Strains
As always, we recommend getting specific information from trained medical professionals before trying any form of medical marijuana. A medical marijuana-certified doctor can determine your medical needs and write a medical marijuana recommendation. Dispensary staff members understand the strains they sell and can point you to the one that will help you the most.