Super Chocolaty Marijuana Brownies
Posted by Marijuana Doctors on 02/11/2013 in Recipes
Updated on January 25, 2019. Medical content reviewed by Dr. Joseph Rosado, MD, M.B.A, Chief Medical Officer
Get Medicated with this super Delicious Treat!
Marijuana Brownies are a delicious way to medicate and can be a super fun experience shared with your significant other. It tastes absolutely delicious and is a popular form of ingesting your medicine.
Difference between Eating and Smoking Marijuana
Marijuana causes a series of cellular reactions in the brain that ultimately produce the “medicated” feeling. Smoked or inhaled marijuana takes on a few minutes to reach the brain, however when eating or drinking marijuana, this process can take up to an hour. When marijuana is ingested in brownies or teas, the main active ingredient, Delta-9-THC, is transformed by the liver into a more psychoactively powerful Delta-11-THC.
To summarize, ingesting potent marijuana brownies will make you incredibly medicated. I want to make my first time bakers aware that the experience will be more intense and can last between 6-10 hours. It is recommended that you eat smaller amounts before indulging in the entire batch..waiting between 20-60 minutes before eating more. I know it will be hard, but you can do it!
Marijuana Butter: The Most Important Step
When making marijuana brownies, there is an important step to complete before you become a master Chocolatier. One must first extract the THC, the main compounds from marijuana into an edible form. To do this, we will extract the THC into a butter mixture.
This is important step because THC is fat soluble which means it is stored in the liver and the fatty tissues of your body. When properly mixed with butter, the THC binds with butter fat cells to create the potent “medicated” mixture that is necessary to create “marijuana brownies” or “marijuana edibles”.
The First Step: How to Make Marijuana Butter
1 lb of butter (4 sticks)
2 Cups of Water
Marijuana-Depends on Quality
Directions for making marijuana butter
- Using a grinder, grind up your marijuana into a super fine consistency. The more you agitate it, the better.
- Add two cups of water to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Add your 1lb of butter to the pot and bring to a boil. Do not burn butter.
- Once butter comes to a boil, add your marijuana and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer the butter and cannabis mixture, stirring occasionally.
- Let mixture simmer for 3-6 hours until the mixture becomes a thick green consistency,
- Next pour mixture through a fine strainer into a container to remove buds and leaves. Squeeze excess moisture/butter into container.
- Refrigerate the melted butter overnight to bring it back to a solid consistency.
- Remove the butter solid from the waste water underneath.
How to Make Rich Super Chocolaty Marijuana Brownies
1½ cups sugar
¾ cup flour
¾ cup cocoa powder
¾ cup butter, melted
½ teaspoon salt (if using unsalted butter)
¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (see note below)
You’ll notice the list of ingredients is very short. That means the quality of the chocolate makes a huge difference. The chocolate flavor is front-and-center — not the sugar, not the richness, the chocolate. Be sure to buy high quality chocolate.
- Combine sugar, flour, salt (if unsalted butter), cocoa, eggs and melted butter into mixing bowl and mix.
- Do this by hand until the dry ingredients are just incorporated into the wet and stop. Do not beat.
- Stir in chocolate chips
- Line a 9x 13 baking dish with non-stick spray
- Pour batter in dish and spread evenly.
- Bake at 325 for 20-30 minutes. It’s done when a toothpick is inserted in the tallest part comes clean.