Best Cannabis Strains for Winter
Posted by Marijuana Doctors on 11/11/2018 in Strains
Updated on November 12, 2018. Medical content reviewed by Dr. Joseph Rosado, MD, M.B.A, Chief Medical Officer
Whether or not you look forward to winter, you can’t deny that the colder months bring unique obstacles. Many common health problems worsen because of the changes in weather and light. Some issues come with the stress caused by the holidays and winter storms, while others are more situational and depend on your lifestyle and habits.
Marijuana medicine helps with all sorts of winter issues even if you don’t have a diagnosis. Patients who use medical or recreational marijuana can use certain strains to treat specific health conditions, as well as general life hurdles.
The frequent weather changes and lack of activity that come with winter can exacerbate arthritis symptoms. Reduce the swelling in your joints using these strains:
- Girl Scout Cookies/GSC: You can find this popular strain in many dispensaries. In addition to reducing body pain and inflammation, it relaxes you and improves your mood.
- Canna-Tsu: Canna-Tsu has genetics from two CBD-rich strains. As a result, it relieves inflammation without psychoactive effects. It also helps you feel sleepy and relaxed at bedtime.
- Burmese Kush: While Burmese Kush has both indica and sativa genetics, it tends to lean toward its indica heritage. Most people who use it feel mellow but focused.
Winter creates cold, dry air that irritates your lungs. You also become more prone to getting sick during the cold months. Both of these factors contribute to increased asthma symptoms. Use a cannabis inhaler or vaporizer to medicate with the following asthma-relieving strains:
- Harlequin: This sativa-dominant variety soothes the pain, spasms and inflammation in your lungs. Plus, it manages all these symptoms without making you feel tired.
- Cannatonic: Cannatonic has numerous medical uses, including relieving asthma pain. Its breeders created it to have as little THC as possible, so you won’t feel a high from using it.
- Purple Diesel: Purple Diesel not only relieves asthma-related pain, but it also lifts your mood and reduces anxiety.
Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
Shorter days and longer nights mean depression symptoms for many people. Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) lowers your mood and energy. While some experts claim that marijuana causes depression, the opposite is likely true. Uplift your mood with varieties like:
- Cinex: Cinex boosts motivation, energy and creativity to get you back to doing the things you love. It has a few indica genetics back down the line that mellow out any anxiety-inducing traits.
- Pineapple Express: Patients who have both anxiety and depression can benefit from Pineapple Express’ energizing yet mellow effects. It also works wonderfully if full sativa strains make you anxious.
- Super Silver Haze: This strain keeps winning awards for good reason. It addresses severe anxiety and depression while treating pain and appetite issues.
Stress and Anxiety
People with and without a type of anxiety disorder experience more stress during the winter months. The holiday season and winter storms add more to your plate, and sometimes SAD brings anxiety. When you pick the right strain, you can relieve your stress and get back to living your life. Try one of the below varieties:
- Granddaddy Purple: This heavy indica relaxes both the mind and body. In addition to calming you down, it helps you get to sleep at night.
- Headband: Headband has genetics from OG Kush and Sour Diesel, two of the most popular indica and sativa strains, respectively. It has a high amount of THC, so take a little at a time at first to avoid getting extra anxiety.
- Super Sour Diesel: If you have both anxiety and depression symptoms, you’ll appreciate the energy boost and sense of calm from this strain. Super Sour Diesel tends to suit experienced patients because of its strength.
Dry Skin and Other Skin Issues
The dry winter environment can make skin issues like psoriasis worse. It even causes dry skin in people who usually don’t have skin problems. Look for topicals containing these strains to relieve your itchy, dry skin:
- Critical Mass: Reducing inflammation makes your dry skin less red and itchy. Critical Mass has high levels of both CBD and THC to target every endocannabinoid receptor in your skin cells.
- Charlotte’s Web: While its breeders created it to treat seizures, Charlotte’s Web also helps with inflammation. It causes no high due to an incredibly low THC content.
- Pennywise: Pennywise has equal amounts of CBD and THC for enhanced inflammation relief.
Marijuana Tea Remedies
While it’s not a health problem, tea can act as a natural remedy for one. One of the best ways to take cannabis medicine in the winter is to drink marijuana tea. It warms you up and adapts to its intended purpose. You can drink cannabis tea to feel sleepy, get energized or relieve symptoms. Try using these strains for your tea:
- OG Kush: For a bedtime tea that doesn’t make you feel groggy in the morning, try OG Kush. It sedates you and addresses the underlying causes of insomnia.
- Jack Herer: Does your breakfast tea need an extra kick? Jack Herer clears the mind and gives you energy.
- Chocolate Chunk: Whether you have frequent issues or a bout of the flu, Chocolate Chunk will settle your stomach.
Maintaining Energy and Physical Activity
During the winter, you want to keep up with your exercise plan. After all, physical activity helps you stay healthy and happy. The following strains will help you get off the couch and into the gym:
- Lemon Haze: The citrus flavors and energizing properties of Lemon Haze will have you looking forward to physical activity.
- AK-47: If you have more issues with motivation than energy, AK-47 boosts your mood with a slight energy buzz.
- Durban Poison: Durban Poison relieves severe fatigue and depression to get you back on your feet.
Plan Your Winter Treatment Strategy
Everyone has different health issues. Experts in the medical cannabis industry can help you identify your target areas and have a fantastic winter. They can recommend the perfect strain for your ailments. For personalized advice, visit a marijuana-trained doctor near you or get in touch with a dispensary. At MarijuanaDoctors.com, we offer the warmest of winter wishes.