Posted by Marijuana Doctors on 09/26/2017 in Recipes
Updated on January 4, 2019. Medical content reviewed by Dr. Joseph Rosado, MD, M.B.A, Chief Medical Officer
We’ve used tea as a natural remedy for ages. In fact, many societies used tea leaves as an herbal remedy before using it as a hot drink. And, folks all over the world have cured their ills with cannabis for thousands of years.
It makes sense to combine these two healing agents to create a natural medicine to relieve your symptoms. Supplementing your tea with marijuana is much easier than you think and gives you a new way to take your medication.
Benefits of Drinking Marijuana Tea
Marijuana tea works as a potent and versatile remedy that can diversify your treatment plan. Here’s how:
- Waste not, want not: You can use leftovers like stems and vaped bud to make cannabis tea. Re-use helps your wallet and saves you another trip to the dispensary.
- More bang for your buck: Instead of buying drinks from the dispensary, make your own! Imagine all the money you’ll save.
- Absorb more THC: THC is more soluble in hot liquids. The higher solubility also lets it kick in faster.
- Many ways to make it: There isn’t a set recipe for marijuana tea. There are quite a few out there that suit different skill levels and lifestyles.
- Adaptable to your needs: Do you need a beverage to wind you down for the day? There’s a marijuana tea for that. Same goes for patients who need energy in the morning.
- Adjustable dosage: Manufactured drinks have a set number of cannabinoids in them. Making your own tea lets you decide the amount for yourself.
Making Your Own Marijuana Tea
While there are a few ways to make your own marijuana tea, they all have a similar approach. You just add an extra step to steeping your tea with marijuana.
When you make marijuana tea, you should add some kind of fat like oil or butter. The extra fat will extract more THC out of your weed to ensure the most potent effect possible. It may sound odd to put fat into your tea, but if you do it correctly, you will hardly notice.
Now that you understand why people put oil in their marijuana tea, let’s look at a few ways to make it:
- Use a coated tea bag. If you don’t mind emptying out one of the tea bags you have, you can put your bud in it and coat it in the fat of your choice. Steep it in hot water with a normal tea bag.
- Mix the bud and fat together. You can coat your bud in oil or butter and mix it with your tea leaves. If you have a tea infuser, you can fill it with the new mixture, or you can just put everything in a tea bag.
- Skip the butter and oil and use milk instead. If you like tea lattes like chai or matcha lattes, mix the tea, bud and water with milk. Heat the mixture without boiling for about 30 minutes.
- Use cannabis butter instead of bud. If you have access to making or purchasing cannabis butter, you can steep it with your tea.
Ideas and Inspiration for Using Cannabis Tea
Just like regular tea, you can use marijuana tea in a variety of situations. Since we have so many options in the world of tea, you can tailor your marijuana tea experience to suit your wants and needs. Let’s give you some ideas to get you started:
- A relaxing cup before bed: When you start to relax before bedtime, sip some marijuana tea with an indica strain to get a good night’s rest.
- A healthy morning boost: Conversely, you can combine a sativa strain with a stimulating tea like green tea as an alternative to coffee in the morning. Take care when you make your tea — you’ll be combining a stimulant with an energizing strain of marijuana. Start with smaller amounts of both tea and sativa and work your way up.
- “High” tea for one: We all should treat ourselves, so why not make yourself feel like royalty? Get out the scones, lemon curd and tiny quiches. Just don’t throw a tea party with other people — your medicine is yours, and yours alone.
- Getting a chai high: If you don’t like plain hot tea, you might enjoy a chai latte. Follow the milk recipe in the above section using a chai tea bag — you can even put it over ice if you’d like.
- An old-fashioned herbal remedy: Are you a fan of herbal tea? Steep a type of herbal tea suited for your symptoms and add marijuana. Congrats, you have a double-whammy natural medicine!
What to Keep in Mind When Drinking Marijuana Tea
As we’ve discussed, marijuana tea can be awesome for tea lovers and newbies alike. But, like other weed edibles, drinking it doesn’t come without precautions. Remember these warnings when you make and drink your tea:
- Don’t share with others. Since your medicine has been specially picked for you and your health problems, you don’t know how it will affect other people. Plus, it’s illegal in many states.
- Don’t drink your tea in public places. Public marijuana consumption is illegal in every state, and that includes edibles and drinkables.
- Start slow. Edibles take a little while for you to feel, so don’t add more marijuana when you don’t feel anything right away. Use just a little bit of marijuana and work your way up.
- Use one dose or less for each serving. Just because you turn it into tea doesn’t mean it’s not the same amount of weed.
How Effective Is Marijuana Tea?
The effectiveness of marijuana tea depends on what you need to get out of your cannabis regimen. If you mainly need THC and want it slowly released into your system, tea can work wonders for you. But, it can also work for other patients — the only way to truly find out is to experiment.
When in doubt, talk to your doctor or dispensary staff to get advice on using your marijuana tea. Only they can advise you on proper marijuana usage for your ailments. Search our database for a marijuana doctor in your area today.