Updated on March 11, 2021.
Medical content reviewed by Dr. Joseph Rosado, MD, M.B.A, Chief Medical Officer
Colorado Medical Marijuana Card
Find a Medical Marijuana Doctor in CO
Find a Medical Marijuana Dispensary in CO
Get your CO Medical Card right now for $149!
In order to be afforded legal protection of the Colorado Medical Marijuana law, qualified medical marijuana patients must register with the state patient registry and possess a valid identification card by submitting a marijuana card application with the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE).
To be eligible for a medical marijuana card you must:
- Be a Colorado resident
- Be 18 or older
- Have a qualifying medical condition
Minors are eligible for a medical marijuana card if:
- Minor and the primary parent are Colorado residents
- Minor has a qualifying medical condition
All minor patients must see two providers and submit two provider certifications.
Benefits of the Colorado Marijuana Card
Despite the availability of recreational marijuana in the Centennial State, it’s better to have a medical marijuana card because:
- You’ll pay lower taxes as a card-carrying medical cannabis patient
- Patients can grow larger quantities of marijuana plants
- You’ll be able to purchase more weed at one time
- Medical cannabis patients have access to a greater quality and quantity of marijuana
- Medicinal marijuana is more potent than recreational strains
How We Help Patients
MarijuanaDoctors.com is a trusted resource for Colorado residents in need of medical cannabis. Our patients enjoy the following benefits:
- Convenient online appointment booking is just a click away. The process is very easy and user-friendly. We’ll even help you locate licensed doctors and dispensaries near you.
- Browse our extensive database of highly qualified and experienced doctors who’ve been carefully vetted to ensure you receive the best care possible.
- Confidential HIPAA-compliant record keeping keeps your information secure.
- Access online Telehealth services for convenient follow-up sessions from the comfort your laptop, desktop or mobile device.
- Get the latest marijuana-related news and research at your fingertips.
How to Get a Medical Marijuana Card in Colorado
- Patients are required to obtain legitimate medical records or documentation from their primary care physician describing the diagnosis of their qualifying condition — *Learn how to request your medical records
- To qualify, a patient needs to be diagnosed by a Colorado physician as having one of the following debilitating medical conditions, as is specifically identified in the law:
- Acute Stress Disorders or Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- A chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition other than HIV, cancer or glaucoma; or treatment for such conditions, which produces for a specific patient one or more of the following, and for which, in the professional opinion of the patient’s physician, such condition or conditions may reasonably be alleviated by the medical use of marijuana: cachexia; severe pain; severe nausea; seizures, including those that are characteristic of epilepsy; persistent muscle spasms including those that are characteristic of multiple sclerosis; and other condition, as subject to the approval of the Colorado Board of Health.
- * Patients and physician alike may petition to include other medical conditions that would benefit from the medical use of marijuana, in the event the patient’s condition is found to be invalid by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.
- Patients are required to obtain a signed Physician’s Statement from a physician, currently licensed to practice medicine in Colorado — *Find a certified medical marijuana physician in Colorado
- Upon receiving a signed physician’s statement, all patients are required to register with the Arizona Department of Health Services, Medical Marijuana Registry Program — registration is mandatory.
- To register, patients must apply online. Patients who do not have access to the internet may apply by mail, but these applicants won’t have access to their online account.
Colorado Medical Marijuana Registry Application Forms and Instructions
CO MMJ Registry – Application
CO MMJ Registry – Minor Application
CO MMJ Registry – Change of Patient Records
CO MMJ Registry – Report of Lost or Stolen Card
CO MMJ Registry – Request for Patient Info
CO MMJ Registry – Caregiver Registration
CO MMJ Registry – Caregiver Limit Waiver
CO MMJ Registry – Removal of Caregiver
CO MMJ Registry – Request of Fee Waiver/Tax-Exempt Status
CO MMJ Registry – Change of Homebound Status
CO MMJ Registry – Request to Surrender Card
CO MMJ Registry – Common Mistakes
CO MMJ Registry – Tips
CO MMJ Registry – FAQs