Marijuana Butter Recipe
Posted by Marijuana Doctors on 03/21/2010 in Recipes
Updated on March 2, 2020.
Medical content reviewed by Dr. Joseph Rosado, MD, M.B.A, Chief Medical Officer
Difficulty Level: Easy
Many marijuana patients prefer to medicate with edible marijuana treats, so we’ll be posting recipes here at MarijuanaDoctors.com for pot brownies, pot cookies and all sorts of delicious marijuana treat-ments on a regular basis. But before you go baking your Martha Stewart heart out, we should first go over the essential ingredient for the majority of cannabis edibles: marijuana butter.
The amount of pot butter used for each recipe can vary, but below is a basic recipe for 1 pound (2 cups) of cannabis butter. You most likely won’t use it all in one recipe, but any unused portion can be stored in the fridge or freezer for your next baking session.
- 4 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 ounce cannabis
- Chop or grind cannabis into a fine consistency (but large enough so that it can be strained in step 5).
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Once the butter comes to a boil, stir in the cannabis and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer the butter and cannabis mixture, stirring occasionally, until the THC has been extracted and the butter turns into a green color. The longer you cook, the more potent the results.
- Pour the pot butter through a fine strainer to remove the buds and leaves, catching it below in a plastic or glass container.
- Refrigerate the melted butter to bring it back to a solid consistency. Now you’re ready to start making cannabis treats.
Stay tuned for more recipes!