When you begin treating your lupus symptoms with medical marijuana, you’ll find you have some important decisions to make. Each strain of marijuana provides a unique treatment that suits health problems. Since lupus manifests differently for every patient, you must choose a strain that gives you the help you need.
But, once you understand the basics about cannabis strains and their effects on lupus symptoms, you’ll have the tools to make an informed decision.
Common Lupus Symptoms
When you have lupus, your immune system attacks healthy cells and tissue. It can happen in many different systems of your body, so it causes various health problems for everyone. The most common lupus symptoms include:
Parent Marijuana Strains
While there are thousands of marijuana strains out there, they come in three different categories — indica, sativa and hybrid:
- Indica strains have a high amount of THC in them. They provide the effects we usually associate with marijuana, such as sedation, calm and appetite stimulation. Also, they can relieve the user’s pain.
- Sativa strains have high CBD content. In contrast to indica’s calming effects, sativa energizes you and boosts your mood.
- Hybrid strains can be a cross-breed of sativa or indica strains. They take on the properties of their parent strains. Some growers will breed sativa and indica together to get the benefits of both.
Knowing a strain’s type can give you a quick snapshot of its benefits. However, even within a category, each strain has a unique profile.
Best Marijuana Strains for Lupus Pain
Let’s go over each strain for lupus treatment by symptom. These strains mainly help the pain associated with lupus.
- ACDC (Hybrid): ACDC contains a high amount of both THC and CBD. Its cross-breeding allows it to provide beneficial properties from both varieties of marijuana.
- Afghan Kush (Indica): As one of the purest indica strains around, Afghan Kush has potent pain-relieving power.
- Blue Dream (Hybrid): Thanks to its hybrid cultivation, Blue Dream relaxes the entire body without making you sleepy — in fact, it invigorates you.
- Granddaddy Purple (Indica): Granddaddy Purple also provides powerful pain relief. Keep in mind that it will also make you tired.
- Girl Scout Cookies (Hybrid): The Girl Scout Cookies strain provides relaxation and pain relief. Take it in small doses at first to determine how you handle its strength.
- Jack Herer (Sativa): Jack Herer is a heavily sativa-leaning hybrid. It mainly treats depression and other mood problems, but it can also help with pain.
- White Widow (Hybrid): White Widow evenly balances its indica and sativa qualities. It lifts your mood and relieves your pain.
Medical Marijuana Strains for Lupus Fatigue
Most sativa strains can do the trick when it comes to resolving chronic fatigue. Some popular strains used for energy include:
- Strawberry Cough (Sativa): Strawberry Cough has about 20% THC with minimal CBD, relieving stress and depression in addition to boosting your energy.
- Bruce Banner (Hybrid): If you also get headaches from your lupus, Bruce Banner can help you with them.
- Green Crack (Sativa): Need some appetite stimulation? Green Crack can do double duty for you.
- Dr. Grinspoon (Sativa): Dr. Grinspoon is 100% sativa, so it gives you an extra zip.
Best Cannabis Strains for Lupus Inflammation
Inflammation and swelling can hurt and make it more difficult to do daily tasks. Luckily, there are strains for that:
- Harlequin (Sativa): Harlequin’s balance of THC and CBD lets you take advantage of THC’s benefits without as many drawbacks. It also eases headaches.
- Jamaican Lion (Sativa): The high CBD amount in Jamaican Lion lets you enjoy the benefits of weed without the high.
Marijuana Strains for Lupus Headaches
While many of the previously mentioned strains treat headaches, OG Kush — a hybrid strain — is another option. While its primary purpose is pain relief, OG Kush can also help with headaches. Keep in mind that some marijuana strains can cause headaches, so choose carefully.
How to Find the Perfect Strain
Everybody, even patients not dealing with lupus, will have a certain strain that works best for them. The only way to truly find out is to experiment with different types and talk with the professionals. Your doctor or your budtender can always advise you on what to try.
Information on Medical Marijuana & Lupus
- How Does Cannabis Treat Lupus-Related Inflammation
- How Does Cannabis Suppress the Immune System of Lupus Patients
- Medical Marijuana Transdermal Patches to Treat Lupus
- Best Strains of Medical Marijuana to Treat Lupus Symptoms
- Cannabis Cream to Treat Lupus Joint Pain