In order to be afforded legal protection under the Oregon Medical Marijuana law as per the Oregon Medical Marijuana Act (OMMA), qualified medical marijuana patients must register with the state patient registry and possess a valid state-issued identification card by submitting a medical marijuana card application to the Oregon Department of Health Medical Marijuana Program (OMMP).
An Oregon medical marijuana card is an identification card issued by the Oregon Department of Health Services (DHS), to qualifying patients, personal caregivers, or dispensary agents. The Oregon medical marijuana card verifies that the patient has received a written certification from a physician, stating that he or she may benefit from the medicinal use of marijuana, as per the qualifying medical conditions outlined by the State program.
For purposes of the DHS, and law enforcement, the medical marijuana card serves to identify those patients who are exempt from Oregon criminal and civil penalties, for conduct pursuant to the medical use of marijuana.
How to Get a Medical Marijuana Card in Oregon
As per the Oregon Department of Health’s “Medical Marijuana Program“, the following outline serves as a guide on how to register for a medical marijuana card:
- Patients are required to obtain legitimate medical records or documentation from their primary care physician describing the diagnosis of their qualifying condition — *Learn how to request your medical records
- Patients are required to obtain a signed Physician’s Statement from a Medical Doctor (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) currently licensed to practice medicine in Oregon under Oregon Revised Statute Chapter 677, and with whom the patient has established a bonafide doctor/patient relationship — *Find a certified medical marijuana physician in Oregon
- Patients must be a resident of the state of Oregon with proof of residency. If you do not have an Oregon I.D. an out of state I.D., passport, or other photo I.D. with proof of residency such as bank statement, utility bill, etc is acceptable.
- To qualify, a patient needs to be diagnosed by a physician as having one of the following debilitating medical conditions that is specifically identified in the law:
- Once certified, the patient MUST complete the OMMP Application Form and register with the OMMP Patient Registry, to be ensured protection under Oregon’s medical marijuana law.
- Parents or a guardian, of patients under the age of 18 years, must complete the OMMP – Declaration of Person Responsible for a Minor form and complete Part B of the Application Form as a primary caregiver. * Please note: This form must be notarized.
- Patients must provide a clear, legible, and valid copy of a U.S. State or Federal issued photographic identification card that includes last name, first name, and date of birth. If the information or expiration date is not on the front of the ID, copy the back of the card showing that it is current.
- The Oregon Medical Marijuana Program Patient Registry is mandatory — all patients are required to register, in order to be ensured protection under the state’s medical marijuana laws.
- The Oregon Patient Registry fee is $200 for new applications, and renewals, paid in the form of either check or money order, OHA/OMMP For persons receiving SNAP (food stamps), the fee is reduced to $60; for patients with Oregon Health Plan cards, the fee is $50; for persons receiving SSI benefits, the fee is reduced to $20; for patients who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States, the fee is reduced $20.
- Patients can submit or renew their application online here: https://ommpsystem.oregon.gov/
- Patients can submit their application by mail to OHA/OMMP P.O. Box 14450, Portland, OR 97293-0450. Please include your Application, Medical Documentation, ID Copies, Residency Proof, Zoning Documentation & Reduced Fee Proof (If Applicable) and check/money order.
For More Information Please contact:
Oregon Health Authority
Medical Marijuana Program
PO Box 14450
Portland, OR 97293-0450
Phone: (971) 673-1234
Monday – Friday: 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Website: Oregon Health Authority Medical Marijuana Program
Oregon Medical Marijuana Program Fees:
- Cardholder application and annual renewal fee: $200
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP): $60
- Oregon Health Plan (OHP): $50
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI): $20
- Military Veteran: $20
- Grow site registration fee on applications where the patient is not his or her own grower: $200
Oregon Medical Marijuana Application Forms and Instructions
Updated on January 8, 2019