Updated on May 3, 2020.
Medical content reviewed by Dr. Joseph Rosado, MD, M.B.A, Chief Medical Officer
- The most common severe debilitating or life-threatening conditions among medical marijuana patients in New York State are chronic pain (53.13%), neuropathies (14.59%), and cancer (12.18%).
- Patients aged 51-60 years made up the greatest percentage of certifications (23.06%), followed by patients aged 61-70 (19.21%).
- About 5% of patients are designated as terminally ill.
- Nearly 12,000 caregivers are registered for the program.
- Practitioners who can certify patients with a medical marijuana recommendation are:
- Nurse practitioners
- Physician assistants (whose supervising physician is registered with the NYS Department of Health)
- Temporary ID cards are issued to patients and caregivers with an approved registration, so they can get medical marijuana the same day as they register.
- Patients and caregivers receive photo ID cards within 7-10 business days of registration.
- There are 10 Registered Organizations (ROs) approved to do business in New York State. Each can have 4 dispensing locations where patients can buy medical marijuana products. To find a location, visit www.health.ny.gov/mmp and click “Registered Organizations.”
Check back often with MarijuanaDoctors.com for more marijuana facts for New York and the rest of the United States.