Updated on April 25, 2018.
Medical content reviewed by Dr. Joseph Rosado, MD, M.B.A, Chief Medical Officer
Indiana Medical Marijuana Facts
While many other parts of the country have made encouraging progress toward sensible marijuana policies, that progress is nowhere to be found in Indiana. The discouraging Indiana marijuana facts are that not only is the state’s medical marijuana program non-existent, but Indiana also continues to have some of the harshest anti-cannabis laws in the country.
Marijuana Facts for Indiana
- The Indiana legislature began its 2017 session with several marijuana reform bills to consider. One senator filed a bill that would provide patients with intractable epilepsy in-state access to cannabidiol (CBD) oil. But despite the fact that more than 40 other states at least make it legal for epilepsy patients to possess CBD oil, there was no indication Indiana would become the next one.
- Another bill was offered to the legislature that would not only create a medical cannabis program in Indiana but would also include several qualifying medical conditions. In addition, patients could use oils high in THC for added relief.
- Finally, yet another bill would create a program to study the benefits of hemp oil derived from the cannabis plant. Supporters believe this is an important step after years of marijuana-based legislation not even being considered by state officials.
- The unfortunate truth about Indiana marijuana facts is none of these or any other efforts to change Indiana’s marijuana laws were expected to find any success. Lawmakers continue to refuse to consider changes even though a poll commissioned by an Indiana television station in 2016 showed an overwhelming majority of residents favor making medical weed legal.
- The poll found that 73% of residents statewide were in support of medical cannabis. And that support was strong across a large number of demographics — 82% of Democrats and 59% of Republicans were in favor. One of the more interesting medical marijuana facts for Indiana is that even 57% of people age 65 and over support medical weed.
- Veterans across the state have been solidly supportive of the establishment of a medical marijuana program as well. The American Legion of Indiana is not only asking Indiana legislators to make medical cannabis legal, but it has also called on the United States Congress to recognize marijuana has medicinal value.
- In the meantime, however, the marijuana facts for Indiana are very disturbing for many people. Being caught with just a joint could lead to a fine of as much as $5,000 and a year in jail. More than 9,000 people were arrested in Indiana in 2012 for pot-related charges, and 86% of those were for possession.
- Meanwhile, according to reports from the state as well as the Federal Bureau of Investigation, 90% of all burglaries — including home invasions — and more than 85% of vehicle thefts were unsolved during that same year.
When it comes to Indiana, marijuana facts are discouraging for most people who wish attitudes among state officials would change. At MarijuanaDoctors.com, we keep a close watch on developments across the country and share them as warranted. Check back with us often to get the information you want regarding this extremely important issue.