Updated on January 25, 2019.
Medical content reviewed by Dr. Joseph Rosado, MD, M.B.A, Chief Medical Officer
Getting a Vermont Medical Marijuana Card
In order to be afforded legal protection under the Vermont Medical Marijuana law, as per the “Act Relating to Marijuana Use by Persons with Severe Illness,” qualified medical marijuana patients must register with the state patient registry and possess a valid state-issued identification card by submitting a medical marijuana card application to the Vermont Medical Marijuana Program (VMMP).
A Vermont medical marijuana card is an identification card issued by the Vermont Department of Public Health, to qualifying patients, personal caregivers, or dispensary agents. The Vermont medical marijuana card verifies that the patient has received a written certification from a physician, stating that he or she may benefit from the medicinal use of marijuana, as per the qualifying medical conditions outlined by the State program.
For purposes of the Department of Public Health and law enforcement, the medical marijuana card serves to identify those patients who are exempt from Vermont criminal and civil penalties, for conduct pursuant to the medical use of marijuana.
How to Get a Medical Marijuana Card in Vermont
As per Vermont’s Department of Public Health, “Act Relating to Marijuana Use by Persons with Severe Illness,” the following outline serves as a guide on how to register for a medical marijuana card:
- Patients are required to obtain legitimate medical records or documentation from their primary care physician describing the diagnosis of their qualifying condition — *Learn how to request your medical records
- Patients are required to obtain a signed Physician’s Statement from a physician, currently licensed to practice medicine in Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Massachusetts or New York — *Find a certified medical marijuana physician in Vermont
- Patients must be a resident of the state of Vermont with proof of residency. If you do not have a Vermont I.D. an out of state I.D., passport, or other photo I.D. with proof of residency such as bank statement, utility bill, etc. is acceptable.
- To qualify, a patient needs to be diagnosed by a physician as having one of the following debilitating medical conditions that is specifically identified in the law:
Once certified, all patient MUST complete an application form to register with the Vermont Patient Registry — registration is mandatory to be ensured protection under, Vermont’s medical marijuana law.
- Cancer; HIV/AIDS; multiple sclerosis; Parkinson’s disease; PTSD; Crohn’s disease,
- Or the treatment of these conditions if the disease or the treatment results in severe, persistent, and or more of the following intractable symptoms:
- The Vermont MMP does accept out of state registry cards, but only for the conditions approved by the Edward O. Hawkins and Thomas C. Slater Medical Marijuana Act.
- The Vermont Marijuana Patient Registry fee is $50.
- Patients are required to create a digital photograph of his / her in a .jpg format and copy the photo to a floppy disk or CD. Label the disk or CD with your name and date of birth and include it with your application.
- Patients are required to send their notarized application form, digital photo, Physician’s Medical Verification Form, and $50 application fee to:
Vermont Department of Public Health
45 State Drive
Waterbury, VT 05671-1300
Website: Vermont Marijuana Registry Program
Benefits of a Vermont Marijuana Card
The Vermont marijuana card qualifies you for the therapeutic use of cannabis within The Green Mountain State. Vermont marijuana law permits patients to use marijuana as treatment for effective relief from multiple sclerosis, HIV/AIDS, cancer, seizures, nausea, severe pain and wasting syndrome.
You may also register to obtain a medical marijuana card so you can act as a caregiver for registered marijuana patients. At MarijuanaDoctors.com, we connect patients to qualified doctors who will certify you for marijuana use. We also guide you through the entire registration process so you can enjoy the following benefits.
- Access to a Licensed Dispensary — The Department of Public Safety in Vermont has licensed marijuana dispensaries to supply and dispense marijuana and related supplies to registered patients. The state law allows registered patients to obtain marijuana from a designated dispensary. Obtaining marijuana from a dispensary in Vermont allows you to have access to the most effective strains of medicine in different forms such as oils, tinctures, edibles and vaporizable products.
- Permission to Store Adequate Marijuana Supply — Your marijuana card enables you to possess enough medicine to effectively treat your condition. Presently, you’re permitted to store two ounces of marijuana if you’re a registered patient. A caregiver may, however, hold this amount for each of the patients they’re caring for.
- Freedom to Grow Marijuana — Since Vermont only provides licenses for four dispensaries at a time, you may not have a dispensary close to your residence. If this is the case, your marijuana ID card permits you and your caregiver to cultivate marijuana plants. You can have a maximum of two mature and seven immature plants. A plant is mature when the male or female buds can be seen on it without any special visual examination. Your marijuana plants may be cultivated in a secure indoor facility and you must specify the location of the facility in your application.
We Have Qualified Doctors to Certify You
Our network of marijuana doctors in Vermont is committed to helping you obtain your certification so you can easily complete your registration process. Visit our Vermont marijuana doctors’ directory to request an application from one of our doctors. Search for physicians by zip code or by city. When you find doctors close to your home, you can go through their profile and request an appointment.
Our Service is Designed to Help You Get Approved Fast
To help you speed up the application process we provide the following benefits:
- Current Information on Medical Marijuana — We ensure you have access to the latest information on state laws regulating the use, possession, purchase and transport of medical marijuana.
- A Guide to Registered Dispensaries — We’ll give you all the information you need to purchase your marijuana in approved dispensaries throughout the state. We’ll also let you know which dispensaries sell the best strains of marijuana.
- Efficient System for Booking Appointments — Through MarijuanaDoctors.com, you can easily book an appointment with a qualified marijuana doctor or a licensed dispensary. In compliance with the Vermont marijuana registry laws, we’ll help you locate a suitable dispensary even before you submit your application.
For more details about our service to marijuana patients, caregivers and doctors, please browse through our directory or contact us now. You may also want to thumb through the rich resources we’ve provided for you on our website.
Vermont Medical Marijuana Application Forms and Instructions
- Registered Patient Application Form
- Physician’s Verification Form
- Registered Caregiver Application Form
- VT Medical Marijuana Registry FAQs
- VT Marijuana Registry – Patient FAQs
- VT Marijuana Registry – Physician Information
- VT Marijuana Registry – Caregiver Information
- VT Marijuana Dispensary Information
- VT Marijuana Dispensary Rules