Request An Appointment Today

Complete this form to have a patient support specialist find and book an appointment with a certified physician near you.

Medical Marijuana and Epilepsy

What Is Epilepsy?

Epilepsy is a disorder of the central nervous system characterized by loss of consciousness and convulsions.

Medical Marijuana and Epilepsy

Epilepsy is a nervous system disorder that produces intense, abnormal electrical activity in the brain, which can cause seizures. Approximately 2 million Americans are afflicted with epilepsy. This disorder can be caused by brain damage, a tumor, or an infection, but in most cases, the cause is unknown.

Epileptic seizures are often controlled through drug therapy drugs such as anticonvulsants. In general, medications can control seizures in about 70% of patients—but that leaves 30% of epileptic patients without relief. Furthermore, traditional epileptic medications come with side effects such as sedation, slurring of speech, unsteadiness, double vision, weight gain, hyperactivity (in children), sleep disturbances, irritability, gum dysplasia, hirsutism, and changes in mood.

Many patients suffering from epilepsy and other seizure disorders have found great relief from medical marijuana, either taken on its own or in conjunction with other epilepsy medications. Some epileptics who cannot tolerate other anti-seizure medications have been able to use marijuana to successfully control their seizures. Additionally, medical marijuana is very effective in controlling epileptic seizures without the side effects found in traditional medicines used to treat epilepsy. The side effects associated with cannabis are typically mild and are classified as "low risk," with euphoric mood changes among the most frequent side effects.

Most medical marijuana states allow the use of medical marijuana for epilepsy and/or seizures. If you or a loved one is looking to find relief from epilepsy or any other seizure disorder, MarijuanaDoctors.com can help.  We can connect you with hundreds of quality marijuana doctors across the country in all legal marijuana states and ensure you are in compliance with your state laws. Book an appointment today and let us help improve your quality of life!

 

_________________

This information is not provided by medical professionals and is intended only to complement, and not to replace or contradict, any health or medical advice or information provided by healthcare professionals.  If you have any questions, please contact your doctor or other healthcare professional.


Book Appointment | Back to Glossary | Back to List