Obama and Medical Marijuana: Will He Ever Live Up to His Promises?
Posted by Marijuana Doctors on 10/28/2011 in Medical Marijuana News
The things President Obama has said about medical marijuana and the things he has done when dealing with medical marijuana don’t seem to add up.
About 4 years ago, when Obama was a presidential candidate, he said: “The basic concept of using medical marijuana … [is] entirely appropriate,” and pledged, “I’m not going to be using Justice Department resources to try and circumvent state laws on this issue.”
But now that he is President, Obama has completely gone against these statements, as Paul Armentano, the Deputy Director of NORML and the co-author of the book Marijuana Is Safer: So Why Are We Driving People to Drink?, explains in his opinion piece on USNews.com, called Obama Should Keep Promise on Medical Marijuana.
During Obama’s Administration, Armentano outlines the atrocities we have seen:
- The Department of Justice sent letters this past spring to state lawmakers that were debating legislation to allow for the licensed distribution of medical cannabis, threatening prosecution of those involved with said efforts if the measures went forward;
- The IRS has assessed crippling penalties on taxpaying medical cannabis facilities in California by denying these operations the right to file standard expense deductions;
- The Department of Treasury has strong-armed local banks and other financial institutions into closing their accounts with medicinal cannabis operators;
- The Drug Enforcement Administration has rejected a nine-year-old administrative petition that called for hearings regarding the federal rescheduling of cannabis for medical use, ignoring extensive scientific evidence of its medical efficacy;
- The National Institute on Drug Abuse rejected an FDA-approved protocol to allow for clinical research assessing the use of cannabis to treat post-traumatic stress disorder, stating, “We generally do not fund research focused on the potential beneficial medical effects of marijuana.”
And let’s not forget that the Obama administration recently sent out letters to multiple Marijuana dispensaries across California warning them that if they do not close shop in 45 days, they will face federal prosecution and confiscation of their property –even thought these dispensaries are operating within state law. US attorneys are now saying Obama is not implicated in California medical marijuana crackdown, claiming that Obama had nothing to do with it. But guess who takes the blame here down in the real world? The man in charge. After all, this is Obama’s administration and he is the boss. If he truly wanted to stand true to his claims made as a candidate, he surely would be able to use his position as one of the most powerful men in the world to make a change. And so far, he hasn’t.
Armentano, we completely agree with you. It is definitely time that Obama lives up to his promise on medical marijuana.
Disclaimer: These opinions and statements made in these posts are solely the authors and do not necessarily represent the opinion of MarijuanaDoctors.com and its parent company.