Marijuana Research: Cannabis Protects Brain Cells, says US Gov’t
Posted by Marijuana Doctors on 03/05/2013 in Medical Marijuana Research
Gov’t confirmed cannabis as a neuro-protective agent
Marijuana Prohibitionists will tell you that marijuana causes brain damage. Even federal officials and state politicians will tell you that marijuana causes brain damage. But the reality is, Marijuana actually protects the brain. Scientific research shows that cannabinoids exert a neuro-protective effect on brain cells.
It has been found that cannabinoids have particular application in limiting neurological damage following stroke and trauma and in treatment of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and HIV dementia. All of this is mentioned in a Patent held by the Department of Health and Human Services. Patent #6,630,507 filed on February 2, 2001 states that cannabinoids have been found to have antioxidant properties and are useful in treatment and prophylaxis of wide variety of oxidation associated diseases.
Marijuana is a powerful neuro-protectant that also protects brain cells against damage from alcohol use. This is seen in the study “Comparison of Cannabidiol, Antioxidants, and Diuretics in Reversing Binge Ethanol-Induced Neurotoxicity.” Additionally many studies have done to examine the effects of marijuana use on brain tissue volume and composition. Based on extensive research, it was concluded that marijuana use showed no evidence of cerebral atrophy or global or regional changes in tissue volumes.
Other Articles by Pete Fuzzie Genkins
- Medical Cannabis Network is to Marijuana Industry and Grand Cru is to Wine
- New Hempshire, the Last Non Medical State in New England
- NC Republicans Kill Marijuana Bill Because it Had Too Much Support
- 10 Fast Facts about California Medical Marijuana Program in 2012
- Glaucoma and Treatment with Medical Cannabis
- 10 Fast Facts about Michigan Medical Marijuana Program in 2012
- Top 10 Most Common Conditions for Medical Marijuana
- 10 Top Pros of Medical Marijuana from Industry Experts