Request An Appointment Today

Complete this form to have a patient support specialist find and book an appointment with a certified physician near you.

Medical Marijuana and Seizures

What Is Seizures?

Seizures are episodes of disturbed brain function that cause changes in attention or behavior, which are caused by abnormally excited electrical signals in the brain. The severity of symptoms can vary greatly, from staring spells to violent convulsions and loss of consciousness.

Medical Marijuana and Seizures

There are a wide variety of possible symptoms of seizures, depending on what parts of the brain are involved. Many, if not all, types of seizures cause loss of awareness and some cause twitching or shaking of the body. Symptoms of seizures come on suddenly, over just seconds to a minute, and may include:

  • Change in consciousness, so that you can't remember some period of time
  • Loss of muscle control and falling, often very suddenly
  • Muscle movement such as twitching that might spread up or down an arm or leg
  • Muscle tension/tightening that causes twisting of the body, head, arms, or legs

According to the Epilepsy Foundation, epilepsy and seizures affect almost 3 million Americans of all ages, at an estimated annual cost of $15.5 billion in direct and indirect costs. There is no cure for epilepsy or seizures, but certain medications can prevent seizures as long as they are taken regularly. According to the Epilepsy Foundation medications can control seizures in about 70% of patients—but that leaves 30% of patients without relief. Furthermore, traditional epileptic medications come with side effects such as sedation, slurring of speech, unsteadiness, double vision, weight gain, hyperactivity (in children), sleep disturbances, irritability, gum dysplasia, hirsutism, and changes in mood.

Many patients suffering from epilepsy and other seizure disorders have found great relief from medical marijuana, either taken on its own or in conjunction with other more traditional medications. Some people who suffer from seizures but cannot tolerate other anti-seizure medications have been able to use marijuana to successfully control their seizures. While there is still much research to be completed, a 2003 study by researchers at Virginia Commonwealth University found that ingredients in marijuana and the cannabinoid receptor protein produced naturally in the body play a critical role in controlling spontaneous seizures in epilepsy.

Additionally, medical marijuana is lacks the side effects found in traditional medicines used to treat epilepsy. Marijuana side effects are typically mild and are classified as "low risk," with euphoric mood changes among the most frequent side effects.

Most medical marijuana states allow the use of medical marijuana for epilepsy and/or seizures. If you or a loved one is looking to find relief from any type of seizure disorder, MarijuanaDoctors.com can help. We can connect you with hundreds of quality marijuana doctors across the country in all legal marijuana states and ensure you are in compliance with your state laws. Book an appointment today and let us help improve your quality of life!

 

_________________

This information is not provided by medical professionals and is intended only to complement, and not to replace or contradict, any health or medical advice or information provided by healthcare professionals.  If you have any questions, please contact your doctor or other healthcare professional.

 

Book Appointment | Back to Glossary | Back to List